Homes for the Aged Complaints

The Office of Children and Adult Licensing in the Department of Human Services (DHS) licenses and regulates Homes for the Aged (HFA). Homes for the Aged are inspected annually to determine whether they meet state standards. The Office is also required to investigate all written and oral complaints about resident care and treatment, staffing, sanitation, and other conditions and services in HFAs.

Most problems in an HFA can be resolved without filing a formal complaint. Often a phone call or a conversation with the right person at the home can resolve a problem. Less frequently, it is necessary to file a complaint with the Office of Children and Adult Licensing. The federal government has established the Long Term Care Ombudsman Program to help residents who have complaints about care or services. An ombudsman can help you regardless of how serious your concerns are and when necessary assist you with filing a formal complaint.

If you decide to file a formal complaint against a Home for the Aged, please consider the following information:

1. Anyone can file a complaint with the Office of Children and Adult Licensing against an HFA. Although you can call the Office with you concerns, it is best to make your complaint in writing.
2. You can file a complaint anytime within a year of the event or circumstances you are concerned about.
3. In you letter state that you are making a formal complaint and give the name and address of the HFA.
4. Be as specific as possible about the incidents, injuries, or acts you want investigated. It is best to organize you letter around specific issue rather then telling a story of each day’s events.
5. Always include dates, times, names, places, and the people involved. If any resident(s) were affected, be sure to include his or her name in your complaint.
6. Be sure to include your full name, address, and daytime telephone number where you can be reached.
7. If there are any witnesses or other parties who wish to provide information about your complaint, include their names, addresses and daytime telephone numbers so they can be contacted during the investigation.
8. It is always helpful to include copies of bills, invoices, letters, death certificates, or other relevant documents.
9. Keep a copy of your letter for your own records and send a copy of to your local long term care ombudsman.
10. If you feel that you must remain anonymous or that you cannot reveal the name of the resident, you can still contact the Office of Children and Adult Licensing, or send a letter without any names. However, it will be more difficult for the Licensing Staff to investigate your concerns or a specific event.

Written complaints should be sent to:

Department of Human Services
Office of Children and Adult Licensing
Complaint Intake Unit
7109 W. Saginaw, 2nd Floor
P.O. Box 30650
Lansing, MI 48909

If you have access to the Internet, a complaint can be submitted online by going to the DHS website at and clicking on Doing Business with the DHS in the left hand column, Licensing, and then Complaints in the Contact Us box.

You may also file a complaint by calling toll free 1-866-856-0126.